- The development environment should be platform independent as much as the created. applications
- It should be possible to start application development from scratch without big ceremonies of configuration and installation of additional software. There should be also integrated, easy to find and WORKING applications samples.
- The development environment should be suitable for the development of versatile applications with an emphasis on GUI, database and web technology related applications -- basically the most common high level applications.
- There should be a good documentation respectively development environment reference.
- The development environment should make it possible to focus on the development of application and not wasting the time with its configuration.
My conclusion is that KDevelop in its current version in conjunction with Ruby resp. Ruby/Qt is the best choice available today. If you are focused only on Windows related development there should be nothing better than Visual Studio 2008 and C# (and not VB oder IronPython or IronRuby) even if there is also IronRuby which is available for the .NET platform BUT difficult to integrate in Visual Studio 2008.